Friday, August 21, 2009

In The Broom Closet

Hi and Merry Meet,
I am so excited because I found out yesterday that my school manager from Japan is coming to visit me next month! I am so excited to see her. The school I worked at was so small (only 3 teachers), and so we didn't have a principal, we had a manager! Last time I saw her was last year when my husband and I went back to the town I lived in to attend my student's wedding.

She is a wonderful person and I am so happy to welcome her to my home! However, I am struggling with do I put away all my witchy things while she is here, or do I just leave them out and let her make of it what she will.

I am in the broom closet to my family still and we are going to my hometown to see them when she is here. I don't know if she would say anything to them about it. Also, the room that she will be staying in is where my alter is set up. I'm temped to move it to another room for her stay but, I think I will take apart my alter while she is here. She will only be with me for five days.

She knows that I read tarot cards, but I'm not sure I'm ready for others to know yet. I am getting bolder about a few things, but I'm definitely not out of the broom closet. It is something that I'm struggling with. I want to tell my family, however, they are not the most open and accepting of different. My brother and my dad haven't spoken in over a year as they can not see eye to eye on his upcoming marriage (I'm excited about that wedding as I'll be gaining a wonderful sister!). My mom might be more understanding, but I don't know if she could accept it. She might try to send me to the church ladies for a good talking to...I'm not really up for that! My cousin who lives in town here also might be not be as accepting. However, if I am going to open up to family, I think I would start with my cousin here as she is the most tolerant of other's ideas and beliefs.

So far, only my husband and two close friends know. They have all been very supportive and it makes me feel great that they love me and care about me. I would love to be more open about my spiritual life however I'm worried that misunderstanding and stereotypes would overshadow what I'm really about to my family and others.

I am so happy that I'm on this path, even if my family doesn't know, I have lots more to learn and I will only grow. Maybe someday I can tell them and they will support me in ways that makes them comfortable.
Blessed be,
Autumn

4 comments:

  1. Deciding whether to come "out of the broom closet" is one of the most difficult choices that Pagans have to make, I think. It's a big ball of scary, exciting, nervous and thrilled. I remember the exact time that I first told someone I was a Pagan - my heart was thumping a mile a minute, I was sweaty and thought I might vomit.

    But the minute after it left my mouth, I was also so... light. Like I had let go of a burden, you know?

    I love being "out", though I do understand the real fears that keep others from doing so. The possibility of loosing friends or family, or even endangering one's safety in some examples are real issues. I hope one day we can all be out without fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deciding whether to come "out of the broom closet" is one of the most difficult choices that Pagans have to make, I think. It's a big ball of scary, exciting, nervous and thrilled. I remember the exact time that I first told someone I was a Pagan - my heart was thumping a mile a minute, I was sweaty and thought I might vomit.

    But the minute after it left my mouth, I was also so... light. Like I had let go of a burden, you know?

    I love being "out", though I do understand the real fears that keep others from doing so. The possibility of loosing friends or family, or even endangering one's safety in some examples are real issues. I hope one day we can all be out without fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. B,
    Your words of encouagment are always a happy thing! I would love to be free and open with everyone about being pagan. I always knew that I was on a different spiritual path and to finally find out that it has a name has been so uplifting to me.

    I do have fears about coming out. I have a learning disibility that I already hide since it is one that interfears with my job. I don't like having to hide it as it is as much a part of me as my sense of humor. I have run into troubles in the past when I let people know about that side of me. I shouldn't have to keep it to myself, however peoeple fear what they can not understand or know. Being pagan is also a part of me and I would love to be able to share it openly with the world.

    Thank you so much for your thoughts. I love hearing from you and I really enjoy reading your blog!
    Blessing,
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the broom closet also. I am more comfortable with my choice now, but not enough to even tell my husband. I am on Google + and lots of people there know, but as far as I know none of my family knows. I don't think I will "tell" anyone. Whatever happens, happens.

    ReplyDelete