Monday, August 6, 2012

Adventure in The Great Lakes

Hi and Merry Meet,
 Yesterday my husband and I went to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. What an amazing park!! Miles and miles of beaches, sand dunes and lakefront. Wow! We started with a hike to a waterfall. Then we saw the sand dunes from a far away as the wind was whipping sand everywhere. Finally, we hiked out to the Au Sable Lighthouse. The path that we hikes runs right along the lake shore so we could see the lake most of our hike.

The wind yesterday was amazing!!  It had whipped that lake into a frenzy! I've lived on two of the Great Lakes my whole life and I have never seen them roll like that!!  Of course, we are far from the lakes that we know and love. Lake Superior has lived up to it's name. It really is mighty. The waves that were crashing on the beach and the sound of the lake rolling was humbling. Shipwrecks dotted the shoreline as reminders of how powerful this place can be. The lighthouse was a reminder that nature rules here and that people need to remember that. Husband and I took a guided tour through the lighthouse. That was fun. We saw the house that the keeper original lived in and then we went up to the top of the lighthouse. I'm not normal upset by heights, but something about the metal steps going up really freaked me out. I did make it to the top and saw the light that they kept burning in the night for ships to see. Once they guided us outside to walk around the top and see the view I was fine again. The view was spectacular. The wind here was even stronger than on the ground! You could see for miles as it was crystal clear. One lady and myself were the last to leave the top. She was even more enthralled with the view than I was! In fact, her daughter who had already gone back to the bottom had to re-climb all the steps to fetch her and tell her it was time to go. My husband and I had a great giggle over that. They were the nicest people and we enjoyed talking to them later in the fog house building. One thing I have to say I love about National Parks is the rangers. The one who took us on the tour was as friendly and kind as all the other ones we have met. They love what they do They love to share what they know with people and they are the most respectful bunch. It is also one of the major reasons I love visiting National Parks. The views are always amazing, but the personal stories that the rangers add always make it so much more fun. They also know the local history of the place and they tell the stories in ways that make you feel like you are there. I told my husband that someday when I'm older and retired, I'd like to work as a ranger in a park. The problem is I don't know which park and I love so many of them! Well, that's a dilemma for another day!

Today we are taking a kayaking trip to see Pictured Rocks from the water. The water is supposed to be calm today. I'm excited to see what this lake looks like calm. I really hope the water is not that rough. We were told that they will cancel if it is. Also, this is my husband's first kayaking experience. I pray that Goddess Yemaya will bless us and let us pass through the waters peacefully. This photo from yesterday with the whitecaps.

I am super excited to go with Husband today on this adventure. Kayaking  is something I've been trying to get him to do for a few years now. I think he will enjoy it since he really enjoyed tubing down the river when we went to Herkimer, NY a few years ago. I didn't think he'd do that, but he did and he loved it!! I know he is excited about this as he is already talking about renting kayaks for the next two days of our trip so we can explore more of the waterways here. We shall see is he loves it as much as I do.
Have a great Monday!
Blessed be,
Autumn




No comments:

Post a Comment