Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Boots and Being Outdoors!

Hi and Merry Meet,
  One of my best friends from college is going on a 500 mile hiking trip across Spain this summer. I told her how jealous I was and so she asked me to come along! This sounds amazing however, leaving my husband home while I'm off running around other counties for 6 weeks is just too much for me to think about. While we were engaged I lived in Japan. It was a great time for me, however his phone calls to me always sounded so sad. I can't bear the thought of breaking his heart for six weeks just to have a fun time with a great friend. Luckily, she understands and respects this and has not pressured me to go.... although, I'd love to.

So, over the weekend, I did buy some summer hiking boots as Husband and I are planning to do some serious camping this year (since I'll be here with him!). I will be taking off from both jobs and just taking some time for us. Husband has saved his vacation time so he can take three day weekends and we can go off with our camper and have a good time.  My plan in buying the boots was to really use them since they are not going over seas to hike. I've been wearing them around my house instead of my slippers every morning to start to break them in. I was hoping that I might be able to wear them out for a short hike on the weekend, however as we are getting several inches of snow right now I don't think that will be happening. They have nice breathing holes in them...  not so good for snow.

Now that I've got the new gear, I went and found a new hobby for us! This morning I found geocaching. I had hear about it before, but never thought much about it. I showed the site to my husband tonight before he had to go to work. He's not totally sold on my new crazy idea for fun, but seeing as it's free and I get outside...  well, can't be all bad can it? Seeing as our new phones had GPS on them, why not put the data plans that we are paying for to work!?

I did find one coworker who knew what I was talking about today and now I'm trying to talk her into going with me on my first cache. She had been a bunch with her dad, but doesn't own a GPS unit. See, my handy new phone has that part covered! I think this blend of both technology and love of the outdoors is perfect for my husband and I. My coworker told me that she has seen some amazing places that she wouldn't have seen without going on these hunts for caches. Husband can be master of the technology, while I'm enjoying the bounty of nature. See, we both win!

Anyway, I hope Spring comes here soon. I want to be able to use my new boots and maybe not have to bundle up like a marshmallow every time I leave the house! :^)
Blessed be,
Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment